With that in mind, there appears to be little evidence of lesson study being critiqued or challenged as a way of supporting a teacher's learning before lesson study is implemented within an individual school. Furthermore, in the reports published by schools who have used lesson study, there would appear to be little public reflection on either the lesson study process or examples of lesson study not meeting the needs of teacher development. That does not mean that such reflection has not happened, it just does not appear to be in the public domain.
So what are we to do? Given this lack of evidence, it would be sensible to look at alternative ways of supporting teachers develop their practice. One approach is School Based Instructional Rounds (SBIR), which I will now examine in more detail.
Instructional Rounds (IR) :The background
School Based Instructional Rounds : How does it work?
Although initially designed to work across a network of schools, the IR model has subsequently been developed to work at the level of individual schools. So how does it work?
2. After a brief orientation, observers divide into groups to observer in three or four classrooms, spending about 20 minutes in each.
3. During the observations, observers write down specific non judgemental and non evaluative notes about what teachers and pupils are saying and doing in relation to the problem of practice.
4. Following the observations, observers and participant teachers then analyse the data looking for patterns, and suggestions for improvements in practice or school systems (Adapted from Teitel, 2014)
What are the advantages of School Based Instructional Rounds?
SBIR have a number of potential advantages over network based IR, which Teitel identifies as follows:
- In-house teacher observers are likely to understand their context better than guest observers, which reduces the time necessary for briefings.
- In-house teacher observers have a more intimate knowledge of both pupils and what is being taught. This is likely to give the observers a better handle on what is being learnt by pupils
- Given the more detailed nature of the observation and with it being conducted by colleagues, it is likely to lead to a speedier take up of actions required for improvement
- Follow-up - there is an embedded aspect of SBIR which makes it more likely that the outcomes of discussions will be followed-up and discussed. As such, SBIR are far less likely to be seen as standalone events, with no follow-up.
Teitel goes onto identify two possile pitfalls of SBIR, and these include: one, teachers who know each other well staying in the 'land of nice;' two, teachers may not be able to notice what's happening as certain things are taken for granted.
School Based Instructional Rounds and School Improvement
Teitel identifies 5 key design questions which schools may want to consider, if they are going to incorporate SBIR into their school improvement work.
- Why develop SBIR?
- Who should be involved at the school, and why?
- What school-based meddles makes the most senses, and how will it work logistically?
- How will SBIR be integrated into existing improvement structures?
- How can educators take advantages of the benefits of SBIR and minimise the downsides.? (Teitel, 2014)
Some final words
Lesson study may have been adopted in your school after an extensive evidence-led evaluative process and works and that's great. Lesson study may not have worked in your school and setting, and that's a shame for both colleagues and pupils. Lesson study still requires further study to judge it whether it should be scaled-up. With that lack of evidence in mind, SBIR offers an alternative to lesson study, which may or may not be right for you school, and that's a decision which is up to you.
Next week, I will be looking at another alternative to lesson study - Strategic Inquiry.
Elmore, R. F., Teitel, L., Fiarman, S. E., Lachman, A., & City, E. A. (2009). Instructional Rounds in Education: A Network Approach to Improving Teaching and Learning. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Publishing Group
Teitel, L. (2013) School-Based Instructional Rounds: Improving Teaching and Learning Across Classrooms, Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Publishing Group
Teitel, L. (2014) School-Based Instructional Rounds : Tackling problems of practice with teachers ; Harvard Education Letter, Vol 30 (1)
International academic institutions in Indian come in different shapes and sizes and hence it is not always easy to take an extensive view of what these academic institutions provide. But there are certain factors that lie typical in any of the worldwide academic institutions regardless of their location. As you read through you will understand better as to why mother and father prefer a worldwide university to a private or a group university. Cambridge Schools in HyderabadReplyDelete
International Schools in Hyderabad
It has been pretty essential for the students to go with all those possible values and the instances which are even said to be of utmost importance. criminology personal statement examplesReplyDelete
This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.เรียน igcse ที่ไหนดีReplyDelete
cambridge educational leadership course
Allessaywriter.com is the home of the best essay writing service in the world Is “I need help writing my essays,” the first thought on your mind? Does it cause you stress even when you’re trying to relax? Are you thinking about employing essay help? Then do we have news for you! Allessaywriter.com is here to make you an offer you cannot refuse!ReplyDelete
Nice blog, it's so knowledgeable, informative, and a good-looking site. Myassignmenthelpau is a great platform that has been performing astonishingly well. If yes, then you are on the right platform to receive the best Statistics Assignment help at an affordable price. They provide transparent and trusted work satisfying universal clientele each year.ReplyDelete
Connect with meReplyDelete
Get Photos here
invest time in learning
check this out
To draft a genuine and well-researched assignment on any subject or topic, students can take online assistance from professional writers. Livewebtutors is one such online platform indulged in the business of drafting a plagiarism-free assignment. This is one of the popular and trusted websites providing Dissertation Writing Services in the New at reasonable price rates.ReplyDelete
Hey, thanks for the article that was a great one! I am currently using Management Homework Help facility by the LiveWebTutors platform in UK. You can easily get perfect homework help and solutions for distinct subject areas at highly affordable rates.ReplyDelete
Hey, thanks for the article that was a great post! It’s really a cool and helpful piece of information. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. I am currently using Assignment Help Brisbane facility by the MyAssignmentHelpAu platform. You can easily get perfect homework help and solutions for distinct subject areas at highly affordable rates.ReplyDelete